Built, not born David Goggins( US Navy Seal)

Can't hurt me , Master your mind
and defy the odds 


Can't hurt me , Master your mind and defy the odds




" Can't hurt me ", a inspirational and motivational book written by retired US Navy Seal,

David Goggins. It teaches about how to conquer one's mind and find the truepotential of our mind and  body. In other words he is built not born David goggins.

First time I saw its title " Can't hurt me ", seemed completely ordinary untilI read book written by retired US David Goggins.It teaches about how to conquer one's mind and find the true potential of our mind and  body. In other words he is built not born David goggins.Navy Seal, David Goggins. It took my attention. I'm military fan and when it comes to military writers , I am damn mad to read through their pen. 


Same happened when I was searching for some cool mind boggling

books on web and I found this along with The Brain that changes

itself by Norman Doidge (M.D.). 


Both the books are extremely good if one wants to master his mind and

unleash its true potential. And these books proved to be excellent for me

in identifying and conquering the fucking once failure mind to its extremum

capabilities.


I have also included certain snapshots of important paragraphs to help you

in understanding the content.




What made me to go for this book ?


I was heartbroken after my failure in SSB(Service selection Board) and was constantly asking myself , what went wrong as you never get to

know about it until you do some serious introspection. I introspected and

found out certain key areas where I would have gone wrong. One of them

was overweight.


But the question in front of me was ,

 

“How am I going to improve and strengthen them?”


I am regular reader so when I finished with disappointment and dejection

( only physically , mentally there was still fire burning ). I went on to web 

and searched for some random book to order and here this book clicked. I

read out its summary , and the term Hell week ignited my nerves.



David goggins described about the world’s toughest military training

and this man was not a superman who did it, but at the time when he

made his mind to be a NAVY SEAL , he was overweight and not

merely just 10-20 pounds but 90 pounds. He was 300+ pounds and

he needed to shed his weight to 215 pounds to get into the fit category.

He was a depressed overweight young man. His journey of weight

loss was inspirational. 


This book had some great content about a man who changed his life

according to his way. This book is worth reading for anyone who thinks,

he is going through tough time. It is meant to all those who want to see ,

how bad the circumstances can be but the person with the strong mind ,

slowly , step by step conquers that seemingly impossible terrains of life.



It was enough for me to compel to go for it. And yes, thank God I read it,

I found bliss and no longer the feeling of failure . Failures are meant to

test how far can you go. If rejected once , doesn’t put a stamp on you that

you can’t achieve it. 

 

I understood, mind can be defeated but I needed motivation and

David Goggins(Elite Navy Seal Operator)  gave me that.

The Body does what the mind says.

" The war begins at Mind and ends at Heart. "



Built, not Born  David Goggins


Reading through this book could actually made me think of a man

who was being broken by various circumstances of his life since

his childhood. He built himself so strong that when he couldn’t make

it in in first Hell weak,

it din't broke him beacause he was used to it. But later on, what he

tranformed himself into is not less than a miracle.


He did some really hardwork in his life , even his junior years went

like hell .His father Trunnis Goggins was a rich man, he had some

mercedez and owned a club but for David,his elder brother and

mother ,this man was ruthless.



Trunnis, used to physically abuse his wife(David’s mother) & David too on

most things even at the slightest of the mistakes. Nobody knows what

happened with Trunnis Goggins and neither david ever told about it later.


David could not do anything at all at age of 7 years. This went on regulary

until his mother took him out of the hell and went to Indiana,Brazil. 


Life still didn’t change much, got admitted in a public school ,started

playing Basketball , he was a good player , made into school team.

He wanted to play NBA (National Basketball Association) but due to

his life problems including nightmare poverty prejudiceand poor academics, he couldn’t play for NBA . Did some hard ass

work in his senior high school to pass the exams.


But the same results didn’t go for other exams. Failed in ASVAB

(Armed Forces Vocational Aptitude Battery) first time to get into services. Qualified second time with the perfect

score of 50 in his weakest section.  


He did restaurant cleaning job service in the midnight where he would

have to catch killed mouse and  had to be dumped. Not only this,

when he was posted in Air force Bootcamp as airmen and assigned

to clean staff Latrines. He didn’t became a Super Seal in first hell week

but in 3rd.


He got used to mental trauma which made him tough. So when he heard

about Navy seals for first time, it fascinated him and he made up his mind

to go for the world’s toughest training of BUD/S( Basic underwater

Demolition Seal) training.



David Goggins topped his class 237 to become the best of the best US

Navy Seal in Coronado . He later qualified for Air rescue operator and free

faller and became part of DEVGRU( Naval Special Warfare Development

Group ).



He ran 100 mile (135 km ) challenge  2 times before becoming eligible for

Badwater Challenge ,besides ran more than 60 ultra marathons ,broke Guinness world record of maximum pull-ups in 24 hours, only to generate

fund for children of seal operators who died in Operations through  Special

operations Warrior Foundation. Such a philanthropic ,he is. 


This below photo( credit-can't hurt me ) of David Goggins running 100 mile

in 24 hours timeframe, with Japan’s ultra Runner Ms. Inagaki.



100 mile ultra marathon

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         ImageSource-Can't hurt me 



David is a great endurance runner. He completed his first 100 mile ultra

marathon in 18 hours and 56 minutes. And the second 100 mile Trail run

through dense forest in 33 hours.


I promise you'll get astonished to know that he had ASD(Atrial Septum

Disorder ) which means ,he had a whole in his heart ,before achieving

all these feats .Shocked !

Yes ,I too got that fucking shocking feeling when i read it first. Say it a

good luck or medical marvel but it was there. So unbelievable ,isn't it? 


Although, he had to go through 2 heart surgeries before challenging

his mind and body once again to attempt breaking Guinness world record

of maximum pull-ups in 24 hours.


He failed twice before breaking the world record. His passion and determination says so that what is the empowerment of failure. Lot to learn from him.


He not only showed to himself what the human mind is capable of,but to me

as well through his book.


He also ran for continuous 48 hours in 2022 .It was David Goggins 4x4x48

challenge 2022. 


When it seems like a sci-fi movie going on with words like somebody running

for 48 hours, but it is reality. The mind can be conquered and I learnt it from

Can’t hurt me.



The Armoured Mind


I learnt the concept of armouring the mind from “The brain that changes

itself” , another book and learnt to apply using “Can’t hurt me”. These two books are a perfect combination to improve and strengthen one’s

mind and personality. But first you should go with the former book “The brain

that changes itself.” and latter this one. 


It takes hard will to get up at 4 am in morning daily and stronger will to rise

again after humiliating defeat but it is always like that “nobody can stop me if i

want it”. The determination to achieve gives fuel to inner fire and zeal to prove

yourself keeps pushing questions 


Why?

Why are you doing this?

Why are you hurting yourself?

Why can’t you stop?

Why are you still struggling?

Why don’t you quit?

Why not choose something else?

Why can’t you settle with the ordinary?


These “why” questions keeps coming in tough times and forces to quit but

the Armoured mind refuse to quit, pushes itself to the limit and the strange

thing I learnt from good books that there is no limit to human mind

capabilities and limit tends to infinity.


Hell week, a home for me


Going through Hell week changes a lot within you. It is a fight “You vs You”.

Describing what a hell week look like is, difficult thing at all until you have

gone through one. But what David told about it, is appreciable,



I have read other about other special forces operatives as well and their

humble acceptance makes me like them more than anything. As i read

through the book, it gives a sense of David ,speaking to me directly with

his badass words like “fucking shit “. It also makes it interesting to keep

reading.


Hell weak is the peak of physical and mental toughness. If you can

withstand a week long mental and physical torcher(Believe me, it is the

toughest in world), it is a place for you but let me tell you , People with

six packs and strong seeming biceps usually couldn’t clear it until he has

his mind packed with steel.


Around 5 out of 100 make it from every course and sometimes it is

0 out of 100 as well. It all depends on standards. 



Life after Can’t hurt me


I told you, I was overweight, I felt i was not physically active. I would

struggle doing 20 pushups straight. But over 2 months time from June to

August , I achieved the following feats.

  • Wake up at 5 am

  • Running 15 km daily

  • Workout

  • 3000 rope skipping

  • 40 Pushups

  • 150 cycle crunches

  • 60 sit-ups

  • 40 squats

  • 7 pull-ups

  • 2 hour volleyball(in evening) after skipping

  • Day long academic studies

  • Managing time for my hobby-Reading & Blogging(To talk to you)


I could shed around 15 kgs in last 1.5 months and the process is still going on.

My body machine is on (Hahaha). 



Conclusion


Reading Can’t hurt me brings motivation to you is  a sure shot.

Along with, you would be blossoming your vocabulary, which I also enhanced.

It is a book , better if you read in one go but partly also would be enough to

compel you to come later to it.


Read it and take out most of the techniques mentioned , for better self improvement. 


I applied the techniques and found them beneficial especially challenges technique and Taking souls.


Last but not least, If you have time to go for read , well and good but if not, 

Worry not, You can always refer to my blog for Gist of the books and novels.

Post a Comment

0 Comments